If it is not motorized, no paperwork is required, however, a County-issued permit is still required to be purchased at the Administration Office or at one of the Marinas.
If it does have a motor, even a trolling motor, it must be registered with the state. We will need:
- Current water craft registration
- Property tax receipt for previous tax year
- If anything except trolling motor we need proof of ownership on the motor
- Cost: County Residents $30, Non-County $60
- Must launch from authorized areas. Do not wade in from the shoreline
- A light is required to be used when operating kayak/canoe between sunset and sunrise
- A personal flotation device is required, in serviceable condition and readily accessible, for each person on board, and recommended to be worn at all times.
- It is recommended to have a horn or whistle on board.